Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Today might be the day my personal statement might actually be completed! I have gone through so many revisions--so many... I am pleased that I can see the end of the road. Last night, I gave my statement to Nathan (my partner) who proceeded to make all sorts of corrections and marks. I felt that he was being cruel and developed quite a nasty attitude toward him and his "help". Attention--this is not the reaction most conducive to getting along with your partner! So, I went to bed feeling doubly crappy. For one, Nathan had completely butchered my personal statement. And for two, I gave him attitude for it and yelled at him for the first time ever!!
After some reflection today (and after a full--er--half night's sleep) I began to understand what fueled my reation to Nathan. When I first started amending, rewriting, and revising my personal statement in August, I thought I was on top of my game. I knew that my writings were not me on paper, and that sense of separation was distinct. As the revision process wore on and more people commented on my personal statement, the lines between ME and my personal statement became increasingly fuzzy. By the time it reached Nathan's eyes for a critical evaluation, I had begun to truly own it--rather, it owned me. I noticed the intensity for which I felt at one with my work was directly correlated to the amount of time spent thinking and writing on it.
Today I spoke to Karen, my thesis advisor, about this issue. She reviewed my personal statement (after I made the corrections Nathan recommended) and handed it back to me with a big surprise! Her notes were few and far between and her suggestions brief. She said, "You're almost there..."
MUSIC TO MY EARS!
Karen also mentioned to me that the circumstances (I described above concerning my writing) will arise again with the thesis and that this is good practice to get myself into the mental space required to write and rewrite and rewrite, ect.
I changed the personal statement this afternoon to reflect this most recent reading and feel 100 times better about life in general. Whew! Now it just needs to pass the next morning rule: If I can wake up tomorrow morning and still feel good about it, it's going to press, folks!!
So, there are my ten minutes for the day. I am choir mom tonight and need to pick up Destiny and her friend from practice.

All in a day's work...

P.S. I deleted my posting of my personal statement because it was so out of date with all of my recent revisions. I don't think I'll post my new one unless someone asks me.


I love you Nate! Thank you for all your support and dedication! I love you!!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home